Why we collect data
We collect data in order to:
- Provide goods and service to our customers
- Draw our products and promotions to the attention of people who we have a legitimate reason to believe will be interested in our products or events
- Provide broader information to those who have indicated they wish to receive it
- Analyse the performance of our business, the opportunities open to it, and the desires of our customers
How we collect data
We collect data in various ways including:
- When customers make a purchase from us
- At exhibitions and other events, by direct data entry into an electronic devise by or with the individual, by electronic transfer with the individual’s consent of data they have previously entered and shared, or by the handwritten capture of name and email address by or with the individual, which we later enter into a database manually
- By direct subscription to our newsletter through the website
- By manual entry of data from business cards or other means by which people have asked us to keep in touch with them.
- By inviting responses to competitions, surveys, and promotions.
What information we collect
Normally we just collect email addresses, sometimes also with the person’s name. Otherwise the data we collect will depend on the circumstance:
- For online customers we collect data on what they have ordered, when and what they paid, when fulfilled, and the address
- For potential and actual trade buyers, we collect their company name and position, contact details and a record of our communications
- For event attendees, we collect the contact and position data that the individual has provided to the show organisers for that purpose, and further answers that they provide to us to specific questions about our products and our trading potential together
- For subscribers to our newsletter, we may sometimes ask additional questions, and store the answers
- For survey, competition or promotion respondents, we store their responses. When these were given anonymously, we do not store the name or any other identifier of the individual.
- For online account customers, we store but do not view their account name and access password.
- For social media users, we collect social media tags that they have offered to us, or through which they have made contact.
We also keep records of our correspondence with people, and notes of meetings, and a note of preferences people have expressed.
What information we do not collect
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about people (this includes details about a person’s race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about their health and genetic and biometric data).
Who collects the data
Data is sometimes collected for us by a third party company organising the survey, competition, event or other method by which data is collected. We check that such companies are compliant with the relevant legislation.
How data is used
We use the data to:
- Deliver the goods our customers have ordered
- Tailor communications so they are sent to people to whom relevant
- Analyse our business to better understand how we are doing
- Identify areas of opportunity and ways to better satisfy our customers
How data is stored and protected
Some data will sometimes be stored on the servers of a third party company responsible for collecting, analysing or using the data, such as:
- MailChimp or MailJet for the sending of emails
- Google for the analysis of traffic to and activity on our website
- The company organising the survey, competition or other method by which data is collected. We check that such companies are compliant with the relevant legislation.
Who uses the data
How long we keep data for
We store data for as long as we consider it relevant for the purposes described, or until an individual asks us to delete their data.
If you have reason to believe that we may be holding data about you that you do not wish us to hold, you may:
- Ask us to show you what data we hold about you personally, and/or
- Ask us to delete any data we hold about you personally, and/or
- Ask us to stop communicating with you
You can also unsubscribe from our email communications at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our collective emails. It is our policy to honour any such requests promptly and certainly within the one month required by law.